I love taking seemingly 'unhealthy' dishes and giving them a healthy makeover. I've already revamped a fruit crumble, French toast and pancakes, so I thought I'd try my hand at a savoury dish. Coleslaw is one of my favourite side dishes, I love having a freshly made sandwich or salad with a dollop of slaw on the side. Delicious! This coleslaw recipe is easy peasy, healthy and only requires five ingredients to make - win win!
If you recreate this or any of my recipes, I'd love it if you tagged me on Twitter or Instagram (@clumsybaby) so I can have a nosy!
You will need:
1 medium carrot
1 green cabbage
1 medium onion
1 pot of Greek yoghurt
(I used the Fage 0% 170g pot, as I love the thick, creamy flavour)
1. Peel the carrot, thinly slice into strips and add to a large mixing bowl.
2. Peel back the large green leaves of the cabbage, and chop the end off. Slice the cabbage in half, shred each half and add to the bowl.
3. Peel the onion and chop both the ends off. Cut in half, slice each half lengthways and cut into chunky strips. *Top tip: If you find that your eyes are watering or stinging when chopping an onion, simply breathe through your mouth, not your nose while chopping and you'll be tear free!
4. Now that your vegetables are all chopped up, you can add the pot of Greek yoghurt and a few shakes of garlic salt to the bowl. (Salt to your taste)
5. Give your slaw mixture a good stir, until all the vegetables are coated in the yoghurt - and that's it, done! Simple to make and full of flavour.
Transfer your slaw to a plastic container and store in the fridge - your coleslaw should keep for four days. My recipe serves about four to five generous portions.
You can have fun with this recipe by adding in paprika for a bit of a kick, or throw in a handful of walnuts for some extra crunch and texture.
I hope you enjoyed this easy peasy 'Garlic Slaw' recipe post, Are you a coleslaw fan? Will you be recreating my recipe?
I'd love to know. leave me a lovely comment below.
Let's be friends!