Thursday, 14 July 2016

Health: Finding Your Healthy Balance

As you probably already know if you're a regular reader of my blog, or happen to follow me on instagram - I love to eat a healthy, balanced diet full of delicious and nutritious foods, to fuel and nourish my body inside and out. Don't get me wrong I love to indulge in whatever I fancy, usually all the chocolate/cookies/cake, every now and then, as I am big believer in eating everything in moderation. I have been following the 80/20 rule since losing five stone in 2014. (Catch up on my weight loss journey here) the concept of which is simple - you eat healthy, nutritious foods 80% of the time and indulge in whatever you fancy for the other 20%. It's not a diet, and I use the term 'rule' loosely as I personally don't believe in restricting myself, or classing foods as 'good' and 'bad' - it's a way of living! Life is meant to be full of fun and freedom, not restriction and guilt.
I try to eat a healthy, rainbow of foods on the days that I am working, and I save my indulgent 20% for a lunch date on my day off, ice cream by the seaside or a big bag of pick n mix while watching a film. But I don't plan a 'cheat day', if I fancy a bar of chocolate and a cup of tea on a Tuesday night I'll go right ahead, but I won't have another one on Wednesday night, or maybe I want to have a takeaway pizza and ice cream on a Friday night, then on Saturday I'll have something a bit lighter and more nutritious. It's all about finding a healthy balance that works for you!

Along with eating healthily, I am also an active person. (Believe me, I never used to be! #coachpotato) I actually enjoy working out, maybe not always in the middle of a bikini HIIT workout but on the whole I do enjoy it. It makes me feel strong, confident and full of energy. I work out at home, I don't have access to a gym as the nearest is about 20 miles away, but even if that wasn't the case I actually prefer to exercise in the comfort of my little flat. It's free, it's easy and I can do it any time, any day and for as long as I want to.
I don't really have a set fitness routine (for example, leg day, arm day etc) but I do plan out what workouts I want to do on particular days. For example I like to do yoga on Wednesdays and a dance cardio workout on Mondays, as I have a little more time before work. I prefer to exercise in the morning, but it's not always possible with my work schedule. If I'm starting work at 10.00am, I will do a morning workout, but if I'm starting at 9.00am, I will workout in the afternoon.

I aim to work out about five days per week. I usually have one rest day each week, maybe two if I've been overly active, as I do love to go out for long hikes with my boyfriend, weather permitting. A few weeks ago on my planned 'rest day' we ended up going on a five mile walk by the river, it was beautiful! I do find it hard sometimes to sit still and do nothing, I feel restless and like I should be moving my body in some way. But it is so important to let your muscles have a rest and recover.

The main message I wanted to share with this post is that you know yourself better than anyone, do what works for you, and what makes you happy. Try to eat well, indulge in the things you love, move a little every day and just be happy. Every body is beautiful. There's no point in living your life feeling miserable because you've put on a few pounds after having a fun weekend of ice cream and pancakes with your loved ones, or beating yourself up because you skipped a planned workout to spend some quality time doing something else you enjoy. Balance in definitely the key in my eyes, it's just a question of finding yours. 

I hope you enjoyed this 'Healthy Balance' post, Have you found your healthy balance? Do you also follow the 80/20 'rule'?

I'd love to know, leave me a lovely comment below.

Let's be friends!

Love Lauren x


  1. Love this! I am often guilty of seeing people on social media and thinking I am not healthy because I'm not doing what they are...but slowly I'm learning that healthy is different for everyone and I need to find what works best for me x

    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading! So true - healthy really is an outfit that looks different on everyone! As long as you are happy and doing the best for you - that's all that matters :) x


Hello you lovelies! Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely comment on my blog! I appreciate and read every single comment, I will always try my best to reply as quickly as I can.
Feel free to tweet me @clumsybaby if you have question, query or just want to chit chat.

Lauren xx