Thursday 21 July 2016

Healthy Recipe: Homemade Nutty Granola

I love granola, it's one of my favourite breakfast toppings. I like to sprinkle it on top of yoghurt, banana splits or smoothie bowls for some added crunch. I have always bought large bags of granola from the supermarket to last me a few months, usually just simple oats and honey or nutty varieties. But after reading the ingredients list on the back of some of the packets, I realised just how much added sugar and nasties can be lurking in seemingly 'healthy' brands. Don't get me wrong, some brands are better than others, but it's the ones with the hidden sugars, salt and unnecessary added ingredients that you need to steer clear of - just because it seems 'healthy' or is marketed as such, doesn't mean that's always the case. It's definitely worth checking the label.

With all of that in mind I decided to start making my own granola - it's actually super duper easy to make, and you know exactly what your putting in to your body. You can also customise it to suit your tastes - Hate raisins? Leave them out. Love hazelnuts? Add more in! After a few trial and error attempts, I have finally perfected a nutty granola recipe that is quick to make, crunchy, sweet and delicious too. Oh, and it only requires four ingredients - win, win!
Ingredients:
100g of rolled oats
2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
(Lucy bee is my gal)
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
(I love the Clarks maple carob syrup)
30g of chopped nuts 
(I love hazelnuts, almonds, pecans, Brazil nuts and cashews)
You can also add in anything else you fancy - such as seeds, raisins, dried fruit, cinnamon, honey or dark chocolate chips.

Method:
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees (electric fan assisted) and line a tray with baking paper.
Chop the nuts, not too finely as you want some nice chunks in there too.
Melt the coconut oil, I do this in the microwave in 30 second bursts - it usually takes about a minute or so to melt completely.
Add the oats and chopped nuts into a large bowl, then pour the coconut oil and maple syrup into the bowl. Mix well until all of the oats are coated in the maple syrup, coconut goodness.
Pour the mixture onto your lined tray, and spread it out into a thin layer using a spatula. 
Bake in the oven for fifteen minutes until golden brown.
I like to check mine half way through, to make sure it isn't burning.

And that's it! Granola done for the week. My recipe makes between 4 - 5 servings, depending on how much you like to use. Pop your granola once cooled, into a airtight jar and it should keep for up to a week. 

I hope you enjoyed this 'Homemade Granola Recipe' post, Are you a granola fan? What's your favourite flavour?

I'd love to know, leave me a lovely comment below.

Let's be friends!


Love Lauren x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello you lovelies! Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely comment on my blog! I appreciate and read every single comment, I will always try my best to reply as quickly as I can.
Feel free to tweet me @clumsybaby if you have question, query or just want to chit chat.

Lauren xx