Wednesday 29 April 2015

That Foodie Feeling #2: Weight Loss Journey - My Top Tips

Well hello there...

As you most probably know, I embarked on a weight loss journey last May, and lost four and a half stone. Catch up on my weight loss here.
So, today I thought I would share with you, some weight loss tips that have worked for me.
I hope that they will help you too!

Let's get started...

*I just wanted to quickly say, I am not a nutritionist, dietitian or weight loss expert. 
I have simply lost weight by eating healthily, and exercising.
And I just want to share some of the tips and tricks, that have worked for me personally, with you lovely lot!
1. Don't define food
When people say, 'Oh I can't eat that, it's really bad for me', or 'That's a naughty treat'
It really annoys me. Food isn't bad! It's delicious, nutritious and essential for living.
Yes, some foods aren't as beneficial to your health as others. But defining foods as good or bad, isn't a healthy way to live.
Instead I think of my body as a car, if you put the right fuel in, your car will run smoothly, but if you put water in the tank, then your car will most likely break down.
Fill up on whole grains, lean meats, oily fish, eggs, fruits and vegetables, foods that fuel your body. But allow yourself some of those 'bad foods' in moderation.
One chocolate bar is never going to make you fat, just as one salad isn't going to make you slim.
It's all about moderation. 

2. Don't restrict yourself
This tip goes hand in hand, with my first tip.
A lot of people that I know, when they are attempting a 'diet', throw away all their 'bad foods' and stock up on salad leaves and diet meals.
By all means, stock your fridge full of healthy, nutritious foods. But don't deny yourself the odd treat. 
I live by the 80/20 rule. I eat healthy, wholesome food 80% of the time, and I allow myself to indulge the other 20%.
I find that when you tell yourself that you can't have something, you will only crave it more, until you finally cave in and end up overdoing it on the junk.
This method may not work for everyone, but I find that treating yourself to a big, squidgy doughnut every now and then, is good for the soul!

3. Stop eating when you are full
Don't over stuff yourself. If you have a stomach ache, or feel bloated after eating, you have probably eaten too much food, too quickly.
I have been guilty of this is the past, simply eating and eating, because it's there on your plate.
Instead of wolfing down your dinner, take your time, eat slowly and actually enjoy your food.
Ideally you should feel comfortably full after eating, not unbutton-your-jeans stuffed. 

4. Don't use food as an emotional crutch
I know this is easier said than done, but don't eat your feelings. If you feel upset, angry, sad or even bored, don't reach for the Dairy Milk.
Stop, take a deep breath, and write down what is bothering you. Or you could ever call a friend or relative for some support, and advice. 
We all have those days; I like to distract myself by painting my nails, planning a blog post, watching Netflix, watching YouTube videos, or even going for a brisk walk.
The craving will pass, and you will feel so much more motivated to carry on with your journey.

5. Exercise for your health
I exercise two to three times per week, for around 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how I am feeling that day. I feel happy and comfortable with my exercise plan. I feel better for doing it, it fits in to my schedule, and I have been able to stick to it long term. 
I wouldn't like to work out more than that, because I work a variety of evening shifts, I know that I would be pushing my body too far, which would result in me being moody and irritable.
Work out as much or as little as you feel like. If you love to work out 5 days a week, go for it! Or if you are more comfortable doing light exercise 2 days week, that's great too! 
As long as you are doing some form of exercise, it's going to benefit your body!
It's your journey. Do what works for you.


I hope you enjoyed this 'Weight Loss Top Tips' post, I hope that they were of help to you!
Are you on a weight loss journey, or maintaining your weight like me?
Do you have any great weight loss tips?

I'd love to know, leave me a lovely comment below.

*Shameless plug - I post my daily healthy meals, snacks, treats and more on my instagram, @clumsybaby, or click the link below :) 

Let's be friends!

Love Laurenx

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to shift some extra pounds but sometimes it feels so difficult. It did feel good the other day when some work colleagues I'd not seen in months said "you've lost so much weight" though. I've been trying to change little things instead of big things, because I think then it's easier to keep up with, you know? Like adding extra salad instead of pasta / cheese etc onto my plate and walking to work instead of taking the bus. I try and substitute foods that are perhaps unhealthy with foods that are similar but that I enjoy too, I'm really liking the Naked bars at the moment and they satisfy my sweet cravings.

    I agree with you though that it's more about just making healthier choices and not denying yourself - a little bit of everything in moderation is good I say! People often go all out with eating very little and exercising for hours on end and they wonder why they end up feeling awful and giving up.

    Sarah xo | PolkaDotLemon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lovely! You are so right, it's the little changes that make a big difference! Simple swaps, and substitutions are the way forward, instead of cutting out food groups. I wish you lots of luck with your weight loss, I'm sure you are going to smash it!
      (P.S It's such a great feeling when friends notice your weight loss, I find it always spurs me on!)
      Thank you for leaving such a lovely comment.

      Lauren xx

      Delete

Hello you lovelies! Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely comment on my blog! I appreciate and read every single comment, I will always try my best to reply as quickly as I can.
Feel free to tweet me @clumsybaby if you have question, query or just want to chit chat.

Lauren xx